For the past couple of years I have been keeping track of my nights spent camping throughout the year over on Backcountrypost. It’s just a friendly competition that helps motivate us all to get out more. You can find this years post where we kept track of our nights here.
In 2014 I managed to spend 50 nights out under the stars and I was also able to spend at least one night out each month of the year.
This is my final count:
Total: 50 Nights
- January 31 – February 2 | Stateline | 2 Nights
- March 14-16 | Johns Canyon & Butler Wash | 2 Nights
- March 29-30 | The Wedge | 1 Night
- April 18-19 | No Thoroughfare Canyon | 1 Night
- April 30 – May 4 | Salt Creek Canyon | 4 Nights
- May 11-14 | Montezuma Canyon & The San Juan River | 3 Nights
- May 23-26 | High Spur, Millard Canyon & Maze Overlook | 3 Nights
- June 7-8 | Black Canyon of the Gunnison | 1 Night
- June 21-22 | Ouray Amphitheater | 1 Night
- June 28-29 | Firehole Canyon | 1 Night
- July 12-13 | South Fork Clear Creek | 1 Night
- July 18-20 | South Fork Mineral Creek | 2 Nights
- July 26-27 | Mineral Basin | 1 Night
- July 29-30 | Kite Lake | 1 Night
- August 2-3 | Blue Lakes | 1 Night
- August 9-10 | Lead King Basin | 1 Night
- August 16-17 | Lake Fork | 1 Night
- August 22-26 | Devils Fire, Whitney Portal, Whitney Trail Camp, Amargosa Desert | 4 Nights
- August 30 – September 1 | Wetterhorn Basin & Mineral Basin | 2 Nights
- September 12-14 | The White Rim | 2 Nights
- September 20-21 | Gray Copper Gulch | 1 Night
- September 27-28 | Prince Creek | 1 Night
- October 4-11 | The Gulch, Egypt (x2), Fortymile Ridge, Coyote Gulch, Harris Wash, Little Spencer Flat | 7 Nights
- October 24-26 | Devils Kitchen | 2 Nights
- November 27-30 | Natural Bridges National Monument | 3 Nights
- December 5-6 | Knowles Canyon Overlook | 1 Night
Diane is also pretty happy since she kept track of her nights camping this year, too. She ended up camping 24 of these nights with me.
Not sure if I’ll be able to beat this number in 2015, but I’ll sure try!