My Jeep near Twin Falls in the San Juan Mountains on my 2007 IntrepidXpedition trip.
Ten years ago on July 19, 2007, I left on a road trip to Colorado and Utah that would change my life forever. Sure, I had been out to Moab and Colorado a few times before, but after spending two weeks in the west I knew that this was where I needed to be all the time. When I got home from this trip I started looking for jobs and moved to Grand Junction just seven months later. It’s definitely one of the best decisions I’ve ever made!
To commemorate this 10 year anniversary, here are a few photos from that trip along with links to all the trip reports. Back then I was only using a little Canon point and shoot camera and didn’t know anything about photography, so the photos aren’t that great and neither were the trip reports. If I recall correctly, I think I posted most of these trip reports while I was on the road, so they typically only contained photos with few words and limited descriptions. A far cry from the kinds of trip reports I post now!
Here are all the trip reports from the IntrepidXpedition:
1. Reaching Buena Vista (July 19-20, 2007)
2. A Full Day in the Sawatch Range (July 21, 2007)
3. Pitkin to Silverton (July 22, 2007)
4. A Full Day in the San Juan Mountains (July 23, 2007)
5. Silverton to Grand Junction (July 24, 2007)
6. Grand Junction Exploring (July 25-26, 2007)
7. Headed Back to Silverton (July 27, 2007)
8. Leaving Colorado (July 28, 2007)
9. Exploring Moab (July 29, 2007)
10. Moab to Green River (July 30, 2007)
11. Green River to Price (July 31, 2007)
12. Nine Mile Canyon & The Uintas (August 1, 2007)
13. Northern Utah into Wyoming (August 2, 2007)
14. Across Wyoming (August 3, 2007)
15. A Drive Through Badlands National Park (August 4, 2007)
My 2000 Jeep Cherokee that I took on the trip. I had purchased and built this Jeep earlier in the year specifically for this trip.
My first visit to St. Elmo.
A visit to Lower Pomeroy Lake.
The Iron Chest Trail.
Middle Quartz Creek Road
On my way up to Stony Pass as I drove to Silverton.
A rainy afternoon in Silverton…back before it was overrun with UTV’s…
The Mickey Breene Mine. This structure is no longer standing like this as the top section collapsed.
A scenic drive over Cinnamon Pass.
Nice views on my way up to Imogene Pass.
Exploring the Book Cliffs near Grand Junction.
Exploring the Tabeguache Trail in the Bangs Canyon area.
My very first visit to the Colorado National Monument, and I was just passing through to get to Rattlesnake Canyon.
Chimney Rock near Owl Creek Pass.
John Brown Canyon near Gateway, Colorado.
Moab Rim Trail
Headed up to Hurrah Pass.
Yeah, I ran into a few problems throughout the trip, but nothing I couldn’t handle.
Rainbow Rocks Trail
Utah’s Little Grand Canyon
My very first visit to Nine Mile Canyon. Who knew I’d like rock art so much just a few years later?
Driving down Temple Canyon to Bear Lake.
Somewhere in Wyoming…
Fiddlers Lake in the Wind Rivers.